Business cases are developed to obtain management commitment and approval for investment in business change including programmes and projects.
A business case provides a framework for the planning and management of organisational change. The ongoing viability of the programme or project is monitored against the business case.
It is a live document, typically setting out the case for committing resources by explaining:
- What the business need is
- What benefits are expected and how they are aligned with business strategy
- What factors are critical for a defined successful outcome
- Why a particular option is preferred from among the others
- How external resources will be sourced and why this offers the best deal
- How funding will be provided and whether the cost will be affordable
- When and how the benefits will be delivered
- What the risks are and how they will be managed
We offer a full range of business case services from improving organisation-wide capability for business case management across the investment portfolio, to business case development for individual programmes and projects.
Our approach is tailored to client’s specific needs drawing from a range of services including:
- Business case policy and process consultancy
- Programme or project lifecycle guidance and support on business cases
- Business case authoring, review, assurance
- Preparation of specific inputs for business cases (e.g. feasibility studies)
- Business case training and knowledge transfer
- Supporting clients in the development of strategies for decommissioning and nuclear new build through initial feasibility studies and down selection
- Funding and investment appraisal, and organisational development
Our experienced consultants have expertise in business case development including compliance with HM Treasury Green Book guidance. We support client sponsors in presenting business cases for internal and external approval including HM Treasury approval. We support clients through internal and external assurance processes, e.g. multi-stage OGC Gateway reviews.