Atkins wins five year USA Air Force Air Mobility Command contract - 26 October 2012
Atkins has been selected to provide architecture and engineering services for the USA’s Civil Engineering Operations Division of the Air Force’s Air Mobility Command Directorate of Installations and Missions Support.
Headquartered at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois, USA, the US Air Force’s Air Mobility Command (AMC) oversees global air mobility operations, from worldwide cargo and passenger delivery to air refuelling, aero medical evacuation, and humanitarian supply transport. To support this important mission, Atkins has been awarded an indefinite delivery indefinite quantity (IDIQ) five year contract to provide architecture and engineering services for HQ AMC/A7O, the Civil Engineering Operations Division of the AMC’s Directorate of Installations and Mission Support.
Marv Fisher, Atkins’ director of sales and strategy in North America said: “This is a great win for Atkins and a key contract in our company’s strategy to grow and strengthen our service offerings to the US Department of Defense. Our work in this area now extends to contracts in support of AMC, the Air Combat Command, and the National Guard Bureau."
Atkins will provide architecture and engineering services for maintenance, renovation, repair, alteration, and/or construction projects at any of the AMC locations in the United States, Europe, Asia Pacific and North Africa. Atkins’ range of architecture and engineering services may include work on utility systems upgrades, pavement repairs, and airfield system repairs. Services may also involve conducting designs, studies, investigations, sampling, testing, or construction management for environmental and infrastructure projects.
Atkins’ first assigned task is to provide engineering and environmental services to support the design and construction of a water transformation project at Travis Air Force Base in northern California. Atkins will analyse environmental and biological impacts of the proposed construction activities to the existing ecosystem at the project site and adjacent areas.
For more information:
Notes to editors:
Atkins (www.atkinsglobal.com) is one of the world's leading engineering and design consultancies*, employing some 17,420 people across the UK, North America, Middle East, Asia Pacific and Europe. It has the breadth and depth of expertise to plan, design and enable some of the world's most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects.
*It is the largest engineering consultancy in the UK (New Civil Engineer Consultants File 2012) and the 13th largest global design firm (Engineering News-Record 2011).
Recent projects include:
- Major infrastructure works, such as the design and programme management of the civil works for the Dubai Metro red and green lines in the UAE;
- Key rail projects – providing architectural and engineering design services on Crossrail, Europe’s biggest civil engineering project in London, UK, and designing stations, tunnelling and track systems for Gautrain, South Africa’s first high speed line;
- Renewable energy schemes – transformer platform design for the Thanet offshore wind park in the North Sea;
- High profile transport planning and urban design – our innovative scheme to deliver a diagonal crossing at Oxford Circus in London, UK, has helped tackle the problem of pedestrian crowding;
- Multidisciplinary building design – Northwood Primary School in Darlington, UK, is an exemplar project which raises standards for environmental design and community engagement.
- Multi-year architecture-engineering construction management services for the US National Park Service, including projects such as rehabilitation of the Furnace Creek Visitor Center and Administrative Complex at California’s Death Valley to meet the US Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold certification standards;
- Water and environmental projects – critical programme management of storm protection works in the wake of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans and Southern Louisiana in North America, providing expertise in coastal restoration, engineering, environmental and GIS support to rebuild defenses and protect habitats;
Atkins was named among The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For 2011, won Consultancy of the Year in the CIBSE Low Carbon Performance Awards 2010, received the first ever certification of the Carbon Trust Standard awarded to an engineering consultancy in the construction sector, and was included in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2011 and The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2010. Atkins was also construction and civil engineering sector winner for the fifth consecutive year in the Target National Graduate Recruitment Awards 2010 and was awarded a RoSPA Gold Award 2011 for excellence in control of health and safety in the workplace.
Atkins is the official engineering design services provider for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.